Apex, Cary, and Raleigh, North Carolina
If you wear dentures, chances are they are traditional dentures that do not fit well, which can be uncomfortable and embarrassing if they slip when you eat or talk. Thankfully, at Triangle Periodontics, we offer implanted-supported dentures that provide you with a comfortable, yet secure fit, and you never have to worry about your dentures falling out or slipping ever again!
What are implant-supported dentures?
Implant-supported dentures are just what they sound like, dentures that are made to snap into place and held securely by dental implants. However, you can still remove your dentures for cleaning. For patients with an uncomfortable or loose-fitting denture, stabilizing it with implants can be a more comfortable and functional solution.
How do the implants work?
Implants, which are titanium posts, are surgically placed in the jaw, where they are anchored firmly in the surrounding bone. Attachments are placed in the underside of the denture that connects to the implants. When placed in the mouth, the denture snaps onto the implants, keeping it stable and secure. The implants are permanent, and will never have to be replaced. It will almost feel like you have your natural teeth again.
What are the benefits of dentures supported by implants?
- People who opt for implant-supported dentures are more confident when they talk, laugh, and eat in public. You will never have to worry about your false teeth slipping or falling out while you eat or are engaged in conversation.
- Implant-supported dentures are far more comfortable because they are secure and feel like natural teeth. There is also less irritation of gum tissue; patients who have conventional dentures often suffer pain and canker sores.
- Implant-supported dentures look more natural than conventional dentures because less plastic is needed for retention. Wearing implant-supported dentures can also help your appearance in the long term by preventing jaw shrinkage and bone loss.
- Patients with conventional dentures have difficulty speaking clearly. Slurred speech and clicking noises are common problems. Implant-supported dentures can help you relax and talk easily with a more clear and natural voice.
- Best of all, with implant-supported dentures, there is no need to use denture adhesives.
Are implant-supported dentures right for me?
For many patients who currently wear dentures or for those who will soon have their remaining teeth extracted, implanted-supported dentures can be a viable tooth replacement option. However, it may not be the right fit for everyone. Keep in mind that with implanted-supported dentures, there must be enough adequate bone to support the implants. Therefore, there must be no signs of periodontal disease, or the implants may not be successful.
In some cases, a patient may require other implant services such as bone grafting, to add and facilitate bone growth to hold the implants or a sinus lift. During your consultation with periodontist Dr. Otis Washington, he will assess your oral health as a determining factor as to whether you are a candidate for implanted-supported dentures.
To learn more about this revolutionary tooth replacement option, please call Triangle Periodontics at 919-782-9536 to schedule a consultation.
Triangle Periodontics welcomes patients of Apex, Cary, and Raleigh, North Carolina.